How is the NDIS being rolled out?
The first stage of NDIS was launched July 2013 in four locations throughout Australia. The full Scheme will be progressively rolled out by 2019.
Until the Scheme has been rolled out in your area, existing Commonwealth, state and territory government funded disability services will continue.
July 2013 launch locations
The initial four NDIS trail sites included:
- Tasmania (for young people aged 15-24)
- Hunter area, NSW (for those aged up to 65 years)
- Barwon area, Vic (for those aged up to 65 years)
- South Australia (for children aged 0-14)
Tasmanian Launch Schedule
- From July 2013, people with permanent and significant disability in Tasmania aged 15–24 years are able to access the scheme.
- Over the next 3 years, from the age of 15, young people with significant and permanent disability will be able to access the scheme.
- From July 2016, the NDIS will be progressively rolled out in Tasmania and by July 2019, all eligible residents will be covered.