Do you need support for the Disability Royal Commission?

The Disability Royal Commission

The Disability Royal Commission will run for three years until 2022. It will look at ways to prevent people with disability from experiencing violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation.

Free and independent support is now available to help you. These supports are funded by the Australian Government.

Counselling support from Blue Knot Foundation

Counselling support is for people with disability, their families and carers, and anyone affected by the Disability Royal Commission.

Call the National Counselling and Referral Service to connect to a counsellor who can support you to:

  • discuss your feelings and emotions in a safe and confidential environment
  • work out a problem or issue
  • make choices about telling your story to the Disability Royal Commission
  • find other practical supports available to you.

Call 1800 421 468 or visit

If you are currently experiencing any form of violence or abuse, or are concerned for your safety, call the police on 000.

Advocacy support from the National Disability Advocacy Program

An advocate can support people with disability (or family members or carers acting on their behalf) to help protect their rights and understand how to engage with the Disability Royal Commission.

An advocate will be able to help you to understand how to tell your story, work out problems, find communication supports, or access other supports such as legal or financial services. Advocates don’t make decisions for you or tell you what to do.


You can find out more about the supports available on our website in accessible formats such as Easy Read, Auslan and translated material at

People who are deaf, hard of hearing and/or have a speech impairment can contact us through the National Relay Service (NRS). Please phone 133 677.

If you require support in another language you can use the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) free of charge by:

  • calling the National Counselling and Referral Service on 1800 421 468 and ask for an interpreter. The counsellor will make the arrangements, or
  • calling TIS on 131 450 and asking to be connected to the National Counselling and Referral Service on 1800 421 468.

How to find supports

Contact the National Counselling and Referral Service for counselling support or to be referred to another support service.

Call 1800 421 468 or 02 6146 1468 9am to 6pm weekdays or 9am to 5pm weekends AEDT.

You can also find contact details for support services on our website at

Support is here for you.

National Disability Advocacy Program

Blue Knot Foundation – National Centre of Excellence for
Complex Trauma

Australian Government